It costs SOS approximately $15,000 to ship a 40 ft. container full of supplies, conservatively valued at between $150,00 and $250,000. In other words, each $1 donated to SOS decreases the environmental footprint of area hospitals while providing a medically impoverished community with more than $10 in life-saving medical supplies and equipment. SOS’s work saves lives and transforms communities–but it is a collective effort. We rely upon financial support in order to realize our vision for a healthier planet and a healthier world, and ask that you join us in our efforts to deliver health and hope.
Donate Medical Supplies
Your surplus medical supplies can be used by those most in need, either in the United States or overseas, depending on need and organized missions at the time.
Individuals looking to donate their unused medical supplies can drop them off at our office in Louisville – 1500 Arlington Avenue – Monday through Friday from 8am-4pm. For larger items like hospital beds, call our office (502-736-6360) to schedule a pickup. Please note we are not allowed to enter your residence. All items you wish to donate must be outside or in a garage.
Healthcare Organization Donations
SOS welcomes both one-time and regular donations from all hospitals, medical clinics, nursing homes, manufacturers, and other health care organizations throughout the region. Call us at 502.736.6360 to discuss donating surplus materials and extending your health care mission to medically impoverished communities all around the world!
Please note we cannot accept donations of liquids and medications. We will take donations of expired supplies. We do not let anything go to waste!
Supplies with expiration dates have at least 12 months of life remaining.
Disposable items should never have had direct patient contact.
Medical Supply Donation Examples
In addition to the following list of “medical supply” examples acceptable for re-use, also see our list for donation of medical equipment.
- Anesthesia — masks, breathing circuits, LMA’s, hyperinflation bags, epidural kits
- Books (Medical ONLY) — medical textbooks, journals, teaching aids
- Casting Materials — undercast padding, plaster wrap, casting tape
- Drainage/Irrigation — irrigation trays, suction catheters, yankauers, wound evacuators
- Drapes — surgical, exam, single and drape packs
- Dressings — gauze pads/rolls, elastic, bandages, wound dressings, dressing kits, medical tape
- Electrodes — EKG/ECG, ESU, EMS, defibrillation, needles/blades
- Endo/Laparoscopic — staplers, trocars, obturators, graspers, dissectors
- Feeding — nasogastric tubes, enteral administration sets, gravity bags – NO SOLUTION
- Gloves — surgical and exam
- Gowns — surgical & patient
- Infant — bottles, newborn caps, diapers, birthing blankets
- IV — administration sets, IV catheters, winged infusion sets, epidural supplies, ext. sets
- Lab — specimen collection, vacutainers, test tubes/bottles, pipettes, culture media
- Medical Apparel — scrubs, masks, caps, shoe covers, aprons
- Mobility Aids — wheel chairs crutches, walkers, canes
- Monitoring — leads, temp probes, BP cuffs, pulse ox/O2 sensors
- Needles/Syringes — all types and varieties, sharps disposal containers
- Nursing Aids — dressing aids, underpads, restraints, anti-embolism stockings, diapers
- OB/GYN — umbilical catheters, speculums, maternity briefs/pads, umbilical clamps
- Operating Room — surgical packs, table covers, surgical instruments , towels
- Orthopedic — post op boots/shoes, braces, slings, undercast padding, splints
- Ostomy — pouches/bags, barriers, stoma powder/deodorizer
- Personal Hygiene — body wash/shampoo, toothpaste, combs/brushes, washcloths (all unused)
- Respiratory — nasopharyngeal, ambu bags/resuscitators, nasal cannulas, endo/trach/bronchial tubes
- Skin Prep — alcohol pads, iodine applicators, soap, scrub brushes, lubricating jelly
- Sutures — all types and varieties, wound closure devices
- Urinary — catheters, catheter trays, drainage bags, skin prep items, specimen containers
Do you have a great old car you can’t sell because of mechanical problems? Don’t trade that car in for next to nothing!
Your car can be worth more to you than dealers offer for a trade in.
A free, convenient service for converting that extra car, truck, or RV into a tax deductible donation benefiting SOS.
You can donate online or call 877-999-8322 to begin this simple process.
Donate Medical Equipment
If you would like to donate medical equipment for use where it is most needed, SOS welcomes medical equipment donations from all hospitals, medical clinics, nursing homes, manufacturers, and other health care organizations throughout the region. As your facility replaces equipment with newer models, consider donating your current medical equipment to SOS. The medical care we take for granted is simply not available overseas and something as simple as an x-ray machine can save a life.
Donations of medical equipment will increase the prospect of recovery from injuries and accidents in the communities we serve around the world.
All equipment that is donated to SOS is inspected by certified biomedical engineers to ensure it is in proper working order. Everything we ship overseas is ready to use. In addition to the following list of “medical equipment” examples acceptable for re-use, also see a broader list for donation of medical supplies, here.
Medical Equipment Donation Examples
- Anesthesia machine
- Aspiration/Suction Pump
- Autoclave / Sterilizer
- Blood Chemistry analyzer
- C-Arm system – unit, monitor, table
- Cast Saw
- Coagulation analyzer
- Colposcopy Equipment
- Computer equipment
- Diagnostic Ultrasound with probes
- Electrosurgical Unit
- Endoscopy system – scope, insufflator, light source, etc.
- Exam Light
- Exam Table
- Feeding Pump
- Fetal Doppler
- Fetal Monitor
- Hospital Bed – med/surg, birthing
- Infant Incubator
- Infant Warmer
- Infusion Pump
- IV Pole
- Lab Equipment – incubator, shaker, washer, scale
- Lab Microscope
- Lab Refrigerator
- Nerve stimulator
- Ophthalmic Equipment – slit lamp, surgical scope
- Oxygen Concentrator
- Oxygen Cylinder and Regulator
- Patient Scale – adult and infant
- Patient Warmer
- Portable Glucose Monitor
- Pulse Oximeter
- Sequential Compression Device
- Sphygmomanometer – aneroid and digital Stethoscope
- Surgical Headlamp
- Surgical Light Head – ceiling mounted and portable
- Surgical Microscope
- Surgical Table – surgical and delivery
- Traction Unit
- Vital Sign Monitor
- X-Ray equipment – portable, dental, mammography
- X-ray view box